An app version of the walk is now available, in collaboration with Curious Edinburgh.
Please download the Curious Edinburgh app:
Here, you can follow the walk on a map
and read up on the stops of the walking tour on the following pages:
- Bishops’ Close off the High Street / Royal Mile (in between The Mitre and Royal Mile Tavern)
- Cranston Street looking towards Calton Hill
- Drummond Street
- 5 Roxburgh Street, Drs Sam & Julius Lipetz’ GP Practice
- North Richmond Street
- East Crosscauseway, Kleinberg’s Bakery
- Buccleuch Place: Lurie’s Butcher Shop / 33
- The Meadows / the ‘Yiddish Parliament
- 6 Millerfield Place / Sciennes Primary School
- Livingstone Place
- Sciennes House Place / Braid Place Cemetery
- Salisbury Road Synagogue / Community Centre
The walking tour was authored by
Michael Adler, Hannah Holtschneider, Gillian Raab, and Elaine Samuel as part of the Jewish Lives, Scottish Spaces project and the Edinburgh Jewish Literary Society‘s celebrations of the bicentenary of the founding of the first Jewish community in Scotland.
You will find complementary information about Edinburgh’s Jewish history in the exhibition Edinburgh Jews.